Friday, October 14, 2016

NYCC 2016: Bustin Makes Lily Feel Good

Lily Stitches with Ghostbusters at Madame Tussauds for New York Comic Con 2016
Hi there, Lily Stitches here! 

I have been an avid Ghostbusters fan since I was just a wee baby Lily. I watched the original film countless times with my mom (spawning the question during the notorious ghost blowie scene "Mom what is that ghost doing to Ray?" to which she answered "Uh... kissing him?") and sitting on my floor in front of the TV on the weekends watching the cartoon and playing with my bizarre Granny Gross toy (look it up, it's creepy as all hell). 

When the new film came to theaters I was very wary walking into the theater, but ECSTATIC walking out. I loved every minute of the film, but above all.. I loved that they were girl Ghostbusters. Funny girl ghostbusters. 

Fast forward to the week of New York Comic Con. A friend of mine who's a member of the NYC Ghostbusters sent me a Facebook event for a Ghostbusters themed party at Madame Tussauds Time Square. Including "Ghostbusters Dimension" by the Void, where you can suit up and bust ghosts in a virtual reality game. Thursday came and we got dressed in our Ghostbusting best, and made our way over to the museum. We were immediately greeted by a bunch of friendly Ghostbusters as we walked in, and soon we were upstairs checking out the whole exhibit. I gave the wax Holtzmann a hug (of course), explored the "NYC Subway" as well as their home base of Zhu's Authentic Hong Kong Food. 

Lily Stitches with Ghostbusters at Madame Tussauds for New York Comic Con 2016

Lily Stitches with Ghostbusters at Madame Tussauds for New York Comic Con 2016Lily Stitches with Ghostbusters at Madame Tussauds for New York Comic Con 2016Lily Stitches with Ghostbusters at Madame Tussauds for New York Comic Con 2016

Lily Stitches with Ghostbusters at Madame Tussauds for New York Comic Con 2016

As we were chatting with friends, there were soon rumblings of the director of Ghostbusters 2016, Paul Feig showing up. But no one could confirm it. Suddenly, a friend of mine said, "Oh! There he is!" and lo and behold, a very dapper suited up Paul Feig walked into the room as everyone clapped and went HEYYYY like he was an old friend. We all lined up and he came down the lines to shake everyone's hand as well as say hello. When he turned to look at me he stopped, then said "Oh! You are a perfect Holtzmann!" and I almost started crying out of excitement. I shook his hand, and thanked him for giving us the new Ghostbusters. He moved down the line and talked to Luna as well as the rest of the crew handshakes and hellos. I was absolutely on cloud 9 as he approached a podium and made a small speech saying how thankful he was for fans such as us. How great it is to have support from the fans and what the NYC Ghostbusters do for charity events. I was floored and honored to be there, and it was such a bonus that I got a poster signed by Mr. Feig as well! After we waved good bye to him (and all chanted his name loudly as he walked out the door), Luna and I took to the Void to bust some ghosts of our own.

Lily Stitches with Ghostbusters at Madame Tussauds for New York Comic Con 2016

Lily Stitches with Ghostbusters at Madame Tussauds for New York Comic Con 2016

If you're a fan of Ghostbusters you need to get out to Madame Tussauds to check out this amazing VR experience. I don't want to give anything away, but as a kid who always pretended to find and capture ghosts in a trap (without crossing the streams, of course), it's pretty perfect. You feel temperature changes, you smell things, and you feel like you're actually there

It was only the beginning our our con weekend, but it was off to a fantastic start. 

No comments :

Post a Comment